Friday, October 11, 2013

Foods To Help You Sleep Through the Night

Have a little problem sleeping at night?  No matter what time I seem to go to bed I never sleep more than 4 - 5 hours a night.  I thought going to bed earlier would allow for catching up on missed sleep, that theory never worked for me.  I am beginning to think that I am a true insomniac.

Last night I was starving before I went to bed, probably because I didn't eat dinner.  I knew there was homemade chicken pot pie in the frig, but it just wasn't calling me since I had it for lunch.  The banana and granny smith apple that sat on the counter looked so delicious that I ate both.


A little after 9:30 as the eyes and brain where shutting down at the lap top, I went to bed.  Without getting up during the night or waking once, I opened my eyes at 5:30 this morning.  Yes, it was a total of  8 hours of undisturbed  sleep.

I remember hearing that bananas make you sleepy.  I got on my phone and searched the topic.  Sure enough an article from ABC news caught my eye The Foods That Will Help You Sleep http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4373991 . The article states that starchy foods contain cabs that can raise serotonin and should be eaten 4 hours before sleep.  Foods such as bananas, apples slices with peanut butter, cereals and potatoes will all help obtain a good nights sleep.



Some foods suggested to stay away from were spicy foods, sweets and even decaf coffee still has some caffeine so beware and have a cup of herbal tea.  Also suggested candlelight.  Yes candlelight will make you drowsy.

I will definitely have an apple and banana snack again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment